2021 Chevy Equinox Towing Capacity & Payload Specs
The 2021 Chevy Equinox towing capacity reaches as high as 1,500 pounds, and Equinox payload limits will vary from a low of 1,118 pounds to a high of 1,190 pounds. This means you won’t have any trouble moving cargo, whether you’re filling up your cabin’s storage area or you’re hooking up a trailer and heading out on the highway.
Chevy Equinox Specs: Engine Performance & Weight Ratings
The Equinox has previously been offered with two or even three engines, but this year’s model is now being offered with the same 1.5L turbocharged engine as standard in every trim. Here’s a closer look at how the Chevy Equinox specs break down:
Chevrolet Equinox Engine Performance
- Equinox Towing Capacity: Up to 1,500 pounds
- Output: 170 hp and 203 lb-ft of torque
- Fuel Economy: 26 city / 31 highway mpg (FWD) or 25 city / 30 highway mpg (AWD)
Although there’s just one powertrain available on the Equinox today, an optional 2.0L turbocharged i4 (with a 3,500-pound towing capacity) may make a return in model-year 2022.
Chevrolet Equinox Specs & Weight Ratings
- Curb Weight: 3,274 pounds (FWD) or 3,512 pounds (AWD)
- Gross Combined Weight Rating: 5,247 pounds (FWD) or 5,467 pounds (AWD)
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 4,464 pounds (FWD) or 4,630 pounds (AWD)
- Equinox Payload Limit: 1,118 pounds to 1,190 pounds
- Equinox Cargo Capacity: 29.9 cubic feet (seats upright) or 63.9 cubic feet (seats flat)
For proper towing, you should choose a trailer with a total weight of roughly 10-15% of your gross combined weight rating (GCWR). If you’re transporting cargo in your interior, you should be certain that your curb weight, your cargo weight, and the weight of any passengers add up to less than your gross vehicle weight rating (GCWR).
Can the Chevy Equinox Tow a Trailer?
The new Chevy Equinox can absolutely tow a trailer, but you should always prepare carefully by reading over all of the towing information in your owner’s manual. Here, we’ve provided a couple of different recommendations:
- A teardrop camper is perfect for outdoor getaways in Carmel and Noblesville. Although the average weight of a teardrop is roughly 1,700 pounds, options in this class can weigh as little as 600-750 pounds unladen. You can also handle kayak trailers, fishing boat trailers, and jet ski trailers.
- If you need to move a lot of cargo around Westfield job sites, consider a small open utility trailer. Although the Equinox can also tow a lightweight closed trailer, choosing the lighter open option gives you more room to work.
Test the Chevy Equinox Engine Specs at Penske Chevrolet!
Although we won’t be able to hook up a trailer for your test drive, we know you’ll appreciate the power and agility of the Equinox when you take it out on the streets of Indianapolis. Find out how to shop and buy online today.
Learn More at Penske Chevrolet
The new Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is here and it’s ready to help you take on the toughest Carmel jobs. It features incredible durability and unbeatable comfort so you’ve got a comfortable truck you can count on day in and day out. But, how much is the Chevy Silverado 1500? The 2023 Chevy Silverado price starts…
When you want a capable, comfortable, and stylish SUV, there’s no better choice than the new Chevrolet Tahoe. It builds upon a legendary reputation for being a family-friendly SUV and offers even more for you to appreciate with its latest iteration. While the performance and design of the 2022 Chevy Tahoe are impressive, you’ll really…
The 2022 Chevy Equinox gets up to 26 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway, which makes it a strong choice in the highly competitive compact SUV segment. This year’s model is only offered with one engine, but it does give you a choice between front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive, and the…